Monday, June 10, 2013

Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom

Every Monday I am posting on our class Kidblog account about a book I think students would like to read.  Today I had to share Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom just released in May.  I got my first peek at it during the NCTE convention when I was given an advanced paper copy.

I guess, in a sense, you could say I have another "vs." story here.  Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom is by John Rocco.  In this story Super Hair-o has special powers.  He gets them from his really curly, really long, really cool, hair.  The longer his hair got the more superpowers he had.  His friends had them too.

One day he is captured and taken away.  He soon finds himself with the Barber of Doom!  You know what happens; his hair is cut.  What will he do without his superpowers?  Will he get them back?  Can his friends help?

My students will love this story.  They absolutely love superhero stories and this one helps them envision their own "superpowers."  The illustrations done in comic-like color with POWS and WHOOSHES and speech bubbles are large and interesting.  The characters are full of personality.  I know students will enjoy all the action in each picture across the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment