Friday, June 14, 2013

Here It Is! July's #cyberPD Title!

I know you're wondering about this year's #CyberPD title.  Honestly, for close to 48 hours Jill, Laura and I wondered too.  This was definitely the hardest year to choose a title, but we had so much fun discussing the possibilities.  (I think all three of us have much longer professional reading lists for the summer thanks to all of you!  Amazon loves us!  Oh my!)  We truly hope you are as excited about it as we are.

This year as we looked at the #CyberPD stack posts and tweets we were puzzled.  Most years the title has just jumped out at us, but this year there were so many possibilities.  The initial list had 16 titles that had appeared several times in a variety of stacks.  As Laura Komos (Our Camp Read-a-Lot), Jill Fisch (My Primary Passion), and I talked through the stacks we were impressed with the quality of the choices.  We knew for our 3rd Annual #CyberPD event we wanted a book that would be interesting across grade levels, hadn't already been talked about heavily on Twitter or across blogs, and one that we think would be the basis for a deep discussion that would help us all in the coming year.

After much debate, we chose....


Wait for it....


I know you want to know.....


Sorry, since school has been out I've had a lot of sleep.  It makes me think I might be funny.  (My children think quite differently.)


Here it is...



Our Selection
OK, seriously, we chose Who Owns the Learning by Alan November (@globalearner).  The book first crossed our radar thanks to Lesa Haney of Footprints on the Moon.  The book reappeared here and there as we went through stacks.  The more we considered it, the more we thought it would be the perfect follow-up to last year's discussion about Opening Minds.  I'm excited because the book is available in eReader format!!  Of course, it is available in paperback too.  



July's 3rd Annual #CyberPD
Now for the fun.  In July we will discuss November's book across blogs and on Twitter.  We will read sections and then share our thinking.

#CyberPD Dates and Host Site:



You can participate in July's #cyberPD event by: 
  • Blog Reflection:  If you have a blog you may join us each posting date with your reflection of the chapters read.  Then link your blog to the host blog by leaving a comment and your link.  If you don't have a blog, but have been considering getting started this is the perfect opportunity.
  • Blog Commenting:  If you do not have a blog, you are welcome to comment on the host blog to join the conversation.
  • Twitter:  You can also participate by commenting any time on Twitter using the hashtag #cyberPD.  
  • Other:  Last year we had people participate using other sites as well.  If you can link, they will come.  :o)  We love a little creativity.  

Past #CyberPD Events
Join Us
We hope to see all of you there participating in the discussion.  Past participants will agree the books have always been fabulous, but the conversation always takes it to another level.  As Mindi Rench said on Twitter last night:





7 comments:

  1. Whew! That was a wild ride!! I enjoyed the conversation as we worked our way through the stacks to come up with another fabulous title for this year's event. As always, I'm excited to learn alongside you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! This sounds great! Since my stack is not so tall, I think I can do this! Thanks to you, Laura, and Jill for organizing the book choice and plans for the discussions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! Great selection! I will try to participate as much as possible. I'm overloading my reading plate to prepare for fourth grade, but this one seems too good to pass up too!
    Thanks for leading this great learning!
    Ann Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a good support for great conversation. I'm in except perhaps the final one-on vacation end of July. Cathy, (Jill and Laura too) thanks for all of this-I still have to go through all the stacks-arrgh-what a dilemma to decide just which one I REALLY need to read first!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cathy,

    It was a tough choice this year. There are so many great books out there. I can't believe how agonizing the choice was. Thanks for adding your humor to all of our discussions.

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great choice! I went straight to Amazon and did the one-click thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to order it today! Have loved #cyperpd the last two years!

    ReplyDelete