Saturday, November 10, 2018

Don't' Wait

This morning, as I opened my drawer to grab a shirt out of my dresser, I heard a loud crash.  Looking at the carpet I realized the glass globe given to me by one of my families years ago had fallen and broken.  I've always loved it with its inscription: "Faith makes all things possible.  Love makes all things easy.  Hope makes all things work."  The gift became more special each time I had another one of the children from this wonderful family.  Inside the glass filled with water, an angel held up a small child.   I was devastated to see it on the floor shattered in pieces.

The truth is, I noticed the glass globe on my dresser was leaning precariously earlier as I got up out of bed.  It had one of its three legs reaching out over the side.  Instead of fixing it right then, I made a note to get back to it later in the day.  It would have taken two seconds, but for some reason I felt compelled to wait.

Isn't that how it is?  Sometimes we can see the next problem just at its very beginning but we wait because we think we are making something out of nothing, perhaps we mistakingly believe we have plenty of time, or find ourselves unsure how to even begin.

My grandma used to say, "A stitch in time saves nine."  She's so right.  Sometimes if we'd fix our course earlier - or just move the globe back onto the dresser - we would save ourselves hard work later.

1 comment:

  1. Wise words, Cathy. Your reflection reminds me of an advertisement I saw in our church bulletin this evening during mass: "Lots Available". From the local cemetery! There are reminders all around us to act in the moment and be present. Who knows: maybe the glass globe incident served its purpose.

    ReplyDelete