Friday, August 10, 2012

3rd Annual Picture Book Event #pb10for10

It's here!  Today is our third annual picture book event:  August 10 for 10.  If you love picture books, you'll love this event which I'm excited to be hosting with Mandy Robek.  For weeks we've all been wrestling with the 10 picture books we just can't live without in our worlds.  You'll find picture books for your classroom, your library, and your bookshelves at home in this year's collection of posts.  If you'd like to have your blog linked to the conversation, just comment with the link for your picture book list here or at Enjoy and Embrace Learning.  You can also mention us in a link on Twitter using the event hashtag #pb10for10.  If you don't have a blog, but would like to join, there are lots of ways to participate. 


Past Lists


My 2012 Choices
The first year of this event, Mandy and I had been talking about books we couldn't live without in our classroom.  We decided it would be fun to see the shelves of other educators and decided to start this blogging event.  That year I chose THE 10 picture books I could not live without in my classroom.  The following year, 2011, I decided to share ten picture book authors I could not live without.  (Yes, that allowed me to sneak in a few extra books.)

This year, I have decided to share ten picture books we use as mentor texts for our writer's workshop.  In our classroom we write every day.  We learn how to work as writers from one another and the authors who fill the shelves of our classroom.  These authors teach us about sharing our stories.  By example, they help us learn how to make our writing interesting, use crafting techniques to make our message powerful, and much much more.

Mentor Texts for Young Writers 
Here are ten of my favorite mentor texts for teaching writing.  Of course, this is today's list and tomorrow's might be quite different.  These are ten titles I like for young writers.

I Don't Want a Cool Cat by Emma Dodd.  First of all, I am always a little partial to authors who illustrate their own books.  In this book, the character shares all the kinds of cats she doesn't want before telling us about the perfect cat for her.  The first graders in my classroom write and illustrate their own stories so it is fun to be able to share authors/illustrators that do the same.  This picture book is perfect for the beginning of the year when students are just getting comfortable writing.   The patterned text helps young writers to discover ways to dig deeper into a topic, use a repetitive sentence structure to share a message, and create a strong ending.  Her illustrations are also appealing to young writers as the characters are central to the page.  Emma Dodd's illustrations help to demonstrate how you can use shape to characters and other important parts of a story.

Guess What?  by Mem Fox, and illustrated by Vivienne Goodman, is another patterned text that can be used as a mentor for young writers.  I like to use this one particularly because of the way Mem Fox uses a question to give details about the character.  Young writers can envision ways a similar structure could be considered for other topics. In this book, Mem Fox uses a question, followed by the word "Guess," and then a response on the following page.  This repetitive pattern keeps kids turning the page to find out more.  Mem Fox has many books I like to use for mentors including:  Never Say Boo to a Good, Tough Boris, and Harriet You'll Drive Me Wild.  Mem has a way of playing with language and creating rhythms of words to capture the attention of young readers.

In My Yellow Shirt written by Eileen Spinelli and illustrated by Hideko Takahashi is another favorite.  This picture book also has a "list-like" pattern, but it is wrapped in the story of a boy who gets a yellow shirt for his birthday.  His friends think a yellow shirt is a boring gift, but he explains all of the things he can pretend when he is in his yellow shirt.  The yellow shirt turns out to be the perfect birthday gift.  This book can be used to demonstrate a variety of crafting techniques.  I think it is perfect for talking about beginnings, endings, and building the middle of our stories with details.  I find this to be a good book for talking about word choice as well.


Hope Is an Open Heart by Lauren Thompson.  There are a lot of things I like about this book as a mentor text.  This story takes a look at the word hope and shares all the different things hope can be.  It is a great way to explore a word's meaning deeply.  Words often carry layers of meaning we don't often take time to consider.  Again, the repetitive text is an easy way for beginning writers to structure their thinking.  This book uses real photographs from around the world to illustrate the author's point.  Using photographs is a way for students to plan stories and a way to support writers who might have a hard time illustrating their thinking.


If You Find a Rock by Peggy Christian with photographs from Barbara Hirsch Lember.  The first time I read this book I loved its way with words.  I was delightfully surprised by how much my first graders loved it too.  Apparently, first graders think a lot more about rocks than I had realized.  This book sends the reader out on a journey to discover rocks: the way they look, the way they feel, and the many things you can do with each different kind of rock.  You could easily use this structure to write about a collection of similar ideas:  flowers, cats, pets, sports, etc..  This book would be perfect for writing more about the details of an object.  It is also a book that may be helpful in learning to look at things closely as a writer --- or a scientist.  My students were inspired to write poetry after discussing the crafting techniques of this author.

White Owl, Barn Owl by Nicola Davies and illustrated by Michael Foreman.  This book is better for study later in the school year when writers have more crafting techniques under control and when they've learned to pull apart a story to see what can be learned from the work of the author.  I consider this book to be useful in teaching students about literary nonfiction.  This book shares a story of a boy and his grandfather who build a nest in hopes that a barn owl will live within it.  The author shares information about barn owls as she weaves the story of the boy and his grandfather in their quest to attract an owl.  Each illustration has a small caption with barn owl information carefully placed.  This book is perfect for discussing the way authors weave a story and information together for readers.


Every Friday by Dan Yaccarino.  Writers write about things that are important to them.  This is one of my favorite stories for teaching young writer's about personal narrative.  The author shares a story of how he and his son have breakfast together every Friday.  It's a special day he looks forward to each week.  Young writers easily consider special places they go or special times they spend with important people in their lives.  The author's note allows students to take a peek inside the thinking and planning of this author.




The Leaving Morning by Angela Johnson and illustrated by David Soman (author of Ladybug Girl books).  Angela Johnson is one of my favorite authors.  I enjoy the variety of ways she is able to craft a story.  This book is one of my favorites as it helps us discuss the many reasons we write.  Authors capture moments in their lives that are significant.  They write to remember, to get through hard times, and to celebrate their lives.  This book is an example of writing about a time that was hard.  In this story, a young boy shares his goodbyes as he leaves his apartment to move to a new home.  Young writers have many significant stories to tell, and this book helps to start the conversations that lead to discovering new stories.

I love books about grandparents.  Maybe it is because I had four of the best grandparents one could ever hope to have.  The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster, and illustrated by Chris Raschka, is another mentor text I use often in my classroom.  Students always enjoy the story of the visit to grandpa and grandma's house.  The story works well for demonstrating the significance of things in our lives that remind us of places or people.  It helps illustrate the way we can shape stories from these memories.  Juster uses the hello-goodbye window as a lens from which to share his visits with his grandpa and grandma.  I like this book for talking about cracking open stories to tell more so our readers really understand how we feel about a topic.  Raschka's unique illustrations are useful in discussing the work of illustrators to tell a story with pictures.

Kitten's First Full Moon by Kevin Henkes.  Kevin Henkes is another author that just had to make this list of writing mentors.  I use many of his books to demonstrate the ways authors craft stories for others.   Henkes use of repeating phrases, and his careful selection of words, helps make his point clear to his reader and keeps his story pulled tightly together around kitten's search for milk.  Henkes' decision to use black and white illustrations to tell his story is an interesting discussion to have with young writers.




What ten books do you recommend for my classroom?  Please leave a comment below or add a link to your post.











42 comments:

  1. I've always loved the Hello Goodbye Window and the Leaving Morning. Some of your other titles I have never heard of, but MUST investigate.

    This event is such a treat. I can't wait to read about all of the wonderful books people have selected. My picks are over at http://raisealithuman.wordpress.com/2012/08/10/picture-book-10-for-10.

    Many thanks to you and Mandy for hosting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for this event! My husband may not be after I read about all of the wonderful picture books out there...Cha-ching! :) Thank you to you and Mandy for hosting! Can't wait to explore the jog for this event!

    You can find my list at:

    www.thinkingstems.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cathy, I love this list and your topic. There are so many new titles here for me to explore. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy,
    Here is my list:
    http://theamyrudder.blogspot.com/2012/08/thank-you-to-picture-books-10-must-haves.html

    Thank you for sharing your list! I am not familiar with most of the books on it. I am especially grateful the writing mentor text books because one of my goals this year is to really support kids as writers. Look out bookshelves, more friends will be joining you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to find the rock book, looks like one both my students and I would enjoy. A great list that I will definitely come back and visit again soon. Thanks for hosting. I enjoyed participating this year.

    http://teachingyoungwriters.blogspot.com/2012/08/ten-for-ten.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy,

    I love and hate this date each year. I get so many wonderful ideas, but hate the extra money I spend. You have included some new titles for me that I can't wait to get from the library to preview before buying.

    Thank you once again for organizing!

    Barbara

    http://wonderingthrough2012.blogspot.com/2012/08/third-annual-picture-book-10-for-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many good ones here, Cathy, like the rock book and the one by Angela Johnson. I am learning more about those that fit with younger students, so your post gives me many riches. Thank you! And for hosting this event with Mandy. Here's my post: http://teacherdance.blogspot.com/2012/08/10-for-10-picture-book-bonanza.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for hosting this wonderful gathering of book lovers. I finished my post last night and woke up to find a problem with the pictures of book covers, so for now I have deleted them. Here is my link:

    http://lookingforthewritewords29.blogspot.com/2012/08/ten-picture-books-and-authors-that-i.html

    My coffee mug is filled and I'm ready to read what others have shared. :)

    Thanks again~ Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this day, and am so excited to spend time reading everyone's unique way of grouping their picture books. I love picture books as mentor texts for writing so I really enjoyed your choices here!

    I focused on nonfiction this year:

    http://literatelives.blogspot.com/2012/08/10-for-10-great-new-nonfiction-picture.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your topic! As soon as I saw Dan Yaccarino on your list I knew I'd forgotten one for my list. This was so tough! But a lot of fun! Thank you so much for hosting!

    My list at There's A Book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love this event. I added so many new books to my list last year. I can't wait to visit the library to find "If You Find a Rock" and "Hope is an Open Heart". I know my students will love the rock book too. And I will definitely be checking out "Every Friday" - it sounds like it would be a perfect addition to my mentor texts for my first unit in writing workshop. Sounds like it will be perfect for my second graders.

    Here's my top ten list. http://amostlyrosyoutlook.blogspot.com/

    @DebraRosenquist

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Cathy, for this list of old and soon-to-be favorites! I love your mentor text theme, and can't wait to use these books with my young writers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Cathy. I love reading all the 10for10 blogs and becoming aware of many new books. Here is my list:

    http://morethanreadingblog.com/2012/08/10/10for10-special-picture-books/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cathy, I really enjoyed your list and have selected a few of them for the Doucette Library.
    I've left a link to my list on Mandy's blog. Just wanted to thank you for your efforts hosting this event. I love it!
    Thanks.
    Tamy

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooooohhhh!!! I love this list Cathy! I've just posted mine. 10 picture book biographies. Thank you for all your great findings for WW. Loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cathy,
    Thank you for such a great list and hosting this wonderful event! I love that you crafted your list around mentor texts for writing! I look forward to using them in my classroom in the future. I especially liked the rock book, as well. What a great way to illustrate how to make meaningful observations that are so important to science.

    I look forward to perusing all the wonderful lists on the jog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Cathy,

    Thanks again for hosting this event. It's one of my favorite events. I've posted my list at http://www.teachingwithpicturebooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here is my list at Growing Book by Book http://growingbookbybook.com/2012/08/10/10-for-10-ten-metor-texts-to-use-for-modeling-writing/
    I featured 10 books that I use as mentor texts for writer's workshop. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for hosting again ladies! It's one of the highlights of the summer here's my list http://literatelives.blogspot.com/2012/08/10-for-10-picture-books-ill-buying-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Narrowing down to 10 is hard! Just means I'll have to save some for next year!

    For this year, here's my list:

    http://www.novalibrarymom.com/?p=842

    ReplyDelete
  21. I joined you all with 10 Bedtime Books that I've been enjoying lately with my little one :)
    http://lauraslouisvillelife.blogspot.com/2012/08/10-bedtime-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for reminding me about HOPE IS AN OPEN HEART. Must find my copy and sneak it into the tub, even if it didn't make the list!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Here's my link:
    http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2012/08/10-for-10-picture-books-for-first-weeks.html

    And here's Franki's:
    http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2012/08/10-books-in-which-characters-are-eaten.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Cathy, I love this day and reading everyone's choices. Here's the link to my books:
    http://lcinmo.wordpress.com/2012/08/10/my-10-for-10/

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOOOHOOO!!! Such an exciting day! I can't wait to load the cart at Amazon. :) Thanks for all the great suggestions. Here's the link from Catching Readers. I focused on books I loved this year in kindergarten.

    http://catchingreaders.com/2012/08/10/august-10-for-10-picture-book-extravaganza/

    -katie

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOOOHOOO!!! Such an exciting day! I can't wait to load the cart at Amazon. :) Thanks for all the great suggestions. Here's the link from Catching Readers. I focused on books I loved this year in kindergarten.

    http://catchingreaders.com/2012/08/10/august-10-for-10-picture-book-extravaganza/

    -katie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Here is my link: http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/div5/?p=3565

    Hello Goodbye Window made my list too!

    Thanks for hosting this!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Here is mine Seymour Division 5 http://jo-online.vsb.bc.ca/div5/?p=3565

    So much fun to try and narrow it to just 10

    ReplyDelete
  29. A fun day of finding new treasures! Thanks for organizing! Here's my 10 for now . . .

    http://literacyzone.blogspot.com/2012/08/picture-books-august-10-for-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Cathy, Well I have put together a blog, and I have posted my 10 for 10 there. If something goes awry, please contact me @jacbalen. Thanks so much for hosting this event. I hope to get some of 'my' people on board for the next one. Non-fiction....hmm...

    http://writeattheedge.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you for hosting and for the awesome lists and links! Here's mine:

    http://www.teachingsimplicity.com/2012/08/in-celebrationof-most-wonderful-picture.html

    ReplyDelete
  32. Here's my post...better late than never right? Now off to read all the fantastic posts! Thanks for hosting again Cathy!!

    http://thebookmavenshaven.blogspot.com/2012/08/august-10-for-10-celebrating-maine.html

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a great list - some new ones i will have to get. Thanks for hosting!

    Hhere's my list:
    http://bunnysgirl.blogspot.ca/2012/08/picture-book-10-for-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  34. Finally,a moment to actually read your post. Little kids love the natural world, including rocks. My kids and I spent hours and hours scouring the rocky shores of our home looking for fossils and other interesting rocks. What great fun! If You Find a Rock, should be on my shelf. And I am eager to get Guess What? Many of my youngest students do not know what a question is, so I am always on the look out for texts that focus on questioning. Thanks for sharing today's list!

    ReplyDelete
  35. So many great books, I was thrilled to find I don't want a cool cat a bargain find at amazon! It has been great to co-host this event with you. It's fun bringing people together.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Cathy,
    Whew! I just finished my August 10 for 10 Picture Book post, after a long week of professional development classes. You can read my post below. I almost posted an August 11 for 10 :)

    http://thesensiblysavyteacher.blogspot.com/2012/08/august-10-for-10-picture-book-event.html

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow! Thanks for sharing how you use these texts with your writing instruction. I'm just beginning to read like a writer, and can tell you are quite skilled at it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Better late than never, right? I had a super busy week, but I couldn't stand to not be part of this fabulous event, so I pulled together a list of ten big kids picture books for this year. And now, as Mary Lee suggested, I'm going to hide my credit card (repeat three times- I am not buying IF YOU FIND A ROCK) and read everyone else's list! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm a bit late to the game, sorry! http://emdffi.blogspot.com/2012/08/10-for-10-picture-books.html

    This gets me pumped for the start of school each year. Thanks so much for organizing it!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your list has some old favorites, but also many I'm not familiar with. I'll be heading to the library tomorrow to look for them.

    Here's my list (with 2 extra titles for being late!):
    http://readingtothecore.wordpress.com/2012/08/12/12-for-12-a-picture-is-worth-1000-words/

    Thanks for hosting this great event!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm late, too, but am excited about participating in the event! Here's my list: http://hollymueller.blogspot.com/2012/08/belated-picture-book-10-for-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm a little late, but here is my list:
    http://hollymueller.blogspot.com/2012/08/belated-picture-book-10-for-10.html

    ReplyDelete