Sunday, June 7, 2015

DigiLit Challenge: Digital Transformations (and a few others)

True confessions.  During the end of the year I have tunnel vision.  I just get busy accomplishing my to-do list and lose site of everything else in the world.  Like a runner nearing the finish line, I take deep breaths and keep my eyes straight ahead.  Of course, now that I can breathe again I'm noticing the little things that have slipped through my fingers in the last weeks:  my house (oh it needs cleaned), my mail (oh the stack is mountainous), my flowerbeds (oh the weeds!), and this #digilit challenge hosted by Margaret Simon.

Margaret graciously hosts a Sunday #digilit round up each Sunday.  I try to participate as much as I can.  It has pushed me to think more about my use of digital technologies to make meaning.  It has made me pause to consider the way digital literacy is shifting the work I do with young children.  Two weeks ago, in the midst of the end of the school year, Margaret posed a challenge:  to reach.  Her plan was to offer a bit of digital challenge for four weeks to push participants to reach to new understandings and considerations for digital literacy.

Well, I'm late to the party, but I JUST LOVE THIS IDEA.  Today I'm going to try to catch up.

Here we go:
Week 1 (5/24):  Challenge this week: Turn an image of nature into a work of art: #photoart

I used Photo Splash to take turn this photo of our
tulip tree (poplar) into a black and white --- then splash
the color back into the flower on the tree.  I then moved
it into Frame It to add a frame.

Week 2 (5/31):  This week’s DigiLit Challenge is an Invitation. You can create your invitation on the app of your choice.


Here's an invitation to relax made on my current favorite 
quick video app --- Magistro.  Choose a theme, find a song, 
insert video and/or photos, and presto --- you have a video. 


Week 3 (6/7):  I invite you to think about digital literacies and transformation.  

Digital tools and social networks have changed the way I work as a reader, writer, and educator.  I used to find my next books by going to the library or bookstore to look at what was displayed.  Now most everything I read is digital.  I keep a list of "next reads" on Shelfari and learn about new titles from blogs and readers on Twitter.  I used to write in a notebook, but web 2.0 tools have pushed me to write for an audience and be more thoughtful about my purpose.  Professional development as changed drastically.  No longer am I limited to the professional development in a seat, now I can learn in virtual communities.  For me, the connections have proven to be the most significant transformation.  I have a community of educators ready to jump in and think through new ideas with me at anytime.  There's virtual book talks, MOOCs, Google Hangouts, and much more to keep me learning.  

I've been fascinated by Sketch Notes.  I've been wanting to try my hand - literally - at this way to show thinking.  I started with Sketch Note, then tried Ink Flow, but finally went back to Noteshelf as I preferred the drawing tools and the ability to write in a magnified view.  


What about you?  Want to join the party?



1 comment:

  1. You have well made up for your tardiness with this post. So much digital learning and creativity here. Also apps I haven't tried before. Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete