began from a conversation about must-have picture books for our classroom libraries. Mandy Robek, Enjoy and Embrace Learning, and I were going back and forth about our favorite books for our classroom communities when we decided it would be interesting to be able to meander through the libraries of other educators to see what books were on their shelves. #pb10for10 for short. Since then, educators, librarians, parents, and book lovers in our PLN have been taking the time to create a list of their 10 favorite picture books to share with one another each year on August 10th.
Mandy recently posted this reminder about the event at Enjoy and Embrace Learning: Picture Book 10 for 10 is coming!
If you're like me, this year has been a tough one. Educators are working through so much in their personal and professional lives right now that Mandy and I have wrestled with whether this is a good year to host this event. Our attention needs to be on caring for ourselves, our family and preparing for the months ahead. We need time to read and learn new things to support our learners in a variety of different modes of instruction. We also are spending much time reflecting on the systemic racism that has to be a part of our conversations moving forward.
In the end, we both decided that books are the only way forward. It's books that help us to see the world from a different point of view. It's books that help us to find answers to hard questions. It is books that make us laugh when laughter can be hard to find. We are going through a lot right now - and the children we spend our days with are going through a lot too. As we open our doors (or computers) in the coming weeks, the books we select can help us to find our way forward.
The answer is always books.
So here we go. The countdown has begun. Next week #pb10for10 will step into a new decade.
Next week we will share our collections of 10 must-have picture books because picture books can help us all to heal.
What to join the conversation?
Want to join the conversation?
- What: 10 picture books you can't live without.
- Hashtag: #pb10for10
- Hosts: @mandyrobek (Enjoy and Embrace Learning), @cathymere (you're here)
- Who: Anyone interested --- educators, media specialists, librarians, parents, and book lovers.
- When: Monday, August 10th
- Where: All posts for 2020 will be linked to Mandy's blog: Enjoy and Embrace Learning (we had to old school so we could maintain the collections from this community)
Here's how you can participate:
- Grab a Badge (just copy the URL address of the one above or take a screenshot)
- Choose Your Favorites: All you need to do is choose ten picture books you cannot live without for whatever reason. In the first days of this event, everyone shared their ten very favorite titles. This still works. You will notice, however, that many past participants choose some type of theme or thread to connect their selections. We'll leave this up to you.
- Narrow Your List to Ten: It isn't easy, is it? We've seen some crafty ways to get around that number.
- Write Your August 10th Post: Write a post about the ten books you cannot live without. Share the link to your collection at Enjoy and Embrace Learning on August 10th.
- No Blog? No Problem: If you don't have a blog, this might be the perfect time to start one --- or there are a million digital ways to join. You could post from a Google page, create a S'more, share in Twitter (and copy the Tweet link), or any other creative idea you may be considering. We will also be tweeting from the #pb10for10 hashtag.
- Comment: On August 10th (and maybe for a week --- there are a lot of posts) take some time to read posts from other participants. Please comment on at least three.
Let the countdown begin!!!!
Hope you can join us!