"We will give ourselves permission to create learning conditions where kids can ask questions they want to ask, muddle through how to say the things they are thinking, and have tough conversations (p. 23)." - Sara K. AhmedThis is always the time of the year that I'm shifting my thinking to the new school year. Each new year brings an opportunity for a fresh start with a new community. This week's #cyberPD reading of Being the Change by Sara Ahmed, is perfect for thinking through those first six weeks as we shape our learning community together.
Her first two chapters, Exploring Our Identities and Listening with Love, help set the tone for the way a community will listen and take care of one another across the year. In the first chapter, Exploring Our Identities, Sara shares ways students can get to know themselves better. Of course, as students share about their identities it creates an opportunity for community members to learn about one another as well. It is in understanding the stories of their friends that they will build the foundation for learning to listen with love. The first weeks of school are the perfect time to, not only get to know one another but also, learn the strategies for discourse in the classroom. These first careful steps can help to make our learning communities safe places for difficult conversation.
- Developing social comprehension helps us to move past the idea of a single story.
- It's important to be intentional about maintaining a stance of curiosity and open-mindedness.
- "We can develop skills and habits to help us comprehend social issues and participate in relevant, transparent conversations (p. 25)."
- In learning communities where students are of similar culture and background, what are some ways we can grow the understanding of those beyond our classroom?
- How does the thinking around social comprehension (Ahmed) align with our previous #cyberPD conversation of social imagery shared in Opening Minds by Peter Johnston? (I want to go back and look at my old notes to think more about this.)
One Important Next Step
- Grow my library of pictures books for building identity.
More About #cyberPD
Want to know more about #cyberPD? Stop by my previous post: Are You Ready for #cyberPD?