Sunday, May 15, 2016

DigiLit Sunday: Refresh -- What's in Your Professional Book Stack? (6th Annual #cyberPD)

Today's post is part of the #digilit Sunday conversation hosted by Margaret Simon.  This week's topic is "refresh" --- and, Margaret, I finally managed a post.  :o)  (See below for links.) 

#cyberPD
As the school year begins to wind down, I'm beginning to feel the excitement of having a little extra time for summer learning.  One of my favorite ways to refresh in the summer is to join professional conversations around literacy --- and, of course, one of my favorites is #cyberPD.  This year will be the 6th annual #cyberPD conversation.  Each year, Laura Komos, Michelle Nero, and I collaboratively host a virtual professional reading conversation across blogs.  The community has grown over the years and is now nearly 200 members strong.

Each year one professional book is chosen to be read by the #cyberPD community.  During the month of July, the book is discussed across three weeks.  Each week participants read and discuss a different section of the selected book.  Past titles have included (revisit conversations here):

Share Your Stack
To prepare for the event, during the month of May participants will be sharing their professional reading stacks.  Participants can share their stacks using the Twitter hashtag #cyberPD and post in our #cyberPD community under the "share your book stack" tab.  Michelle, Laura, and I will then take a look at the stacks and choose one title to be discussed by the community in July.  Though the event doesn't start until July, we like to make the selection at the beginning of summer so participants know which book to save for the conversation.  The selection announcement will be made June 4th!

As usual, my stack is way too big.  There are just so many books to be read...
Also on my list (but not on Goodreads):



I'm going to be busy!  This doesn't include the children's literature I want to read --- and I have to make time for some personal reading.  Oh my!

Join Us
What's in your stack?  I hope you'll share your professional reading plans with our community and join us in July for the conversation.

Anytime:  Join #cyberPD Google Community
By May 31st:  Share your book stack
June 4th:  #cyberPD book announced
July:  #cyberPD conversation  (3 weeks, with one reflection each week)



As part of a continuous collaboration among educators interested in digital learningMargaret Simon hosts a weekly Digital Learning round-up on her blog:  DigiLit Sunday.  Stop by Reflections on the Teche.  

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful books! They are all in my pile. I love the work you have done in Cyber PD. I've always found out what book you are reading a little late. Now I've got it on my schedule to check in. June 4. Great! Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to join you this year; although, I will miss the first week. I'll be in Africa! Yes, you heard me right.
    I also love all the PD opportunities in the summer. I usually pile on too many. This year will be no different, I'm sure. I posted my stack today, but it's not as big as yours...yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just beginning to assemble my pile - but most of your books are on my list as well. Definitely want to be part of your #cyberPD - Bomer's book would be an illuminating choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot about the new Visible Learning book! I hope to join in CyberPD this year. Books become so much richer when we read and learn together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to add the new Visible Learning book to my list! I hope to join your CyberPD this year. Books are so much richer when we read and learn together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have already read Mraz's Mindset and Lester's Writers are Readers, but I can "chat" about them with you all as well! The 7 books on my stack today are posted here - https://franmcveigh.wordpress.com/2016/05/15/digilit-sunday-refresh/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't assembled my stack yet. I hope to join in cyber pd this year. Looking forward to refresh during summer...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your stack looks sooooooooooooo good!

    ReplyDelete