Here are some considerations when choosing your core:
- Find apps which allow students to create.
- Choose apps which are connected to curriculum.
- Be intentional.
- Choose apps which allow students to work where they are as learners.
- Choose apps which allow students to work in authentic ways.
- Consider how products created in apps can be shared with others (social media, embedding ease, email, etc.).
- Consider ease of use.
- Consider the platform of the application (iPad, desktop, tablet, etc.).
- Where will the work live (cloud based or device based)?
If I had to choose just five applications, my list would look something like this:
Create free infographics with Venngage.
New applications are released at lightning speed. It's important to keep up with new digital possibilities, but there are advantages to getting to know tools very well. I like students to play and work with an application for awhile to learn the variety of ways they can use it to create meaning. There's something to be said for being fluent and proficient in the applications used in our classrooms.
If you have a core I hope you'll share it. I'd love to hear about the 3-5 apps you put at the top of the list for your classroom community.