Sunday, October 7, 2012

Weebly: Our New Class Home

I know lately I've been raving about web 2.0 tools that make my teaching life easier.  I'm afraid today isn't any different.  This year I've moved my class webpage to Weebly.  It was awhile ago that Katie DiCesare shared her use of Weebly with me.  She talks about it here at Creative Literacy in Kids Stay Connected.  I knew this school year I wanted to work toward collaborating more with other classrooms around the world.  I thought we needed a place we could share with others, but I wanted to maintain a secure space for sharing photos and information with parents.


After meeting with Katie to see how she was using the site, I realized that Weebly would provide much flexibility for use in the classroom.  It has a variety of features that make it a useful tool for sharing and collaborating.  Weebly allows me to:
  • design my layout
  • link to sites using buttons
  • add photographs, slideshows, mosaics
  • embed YouTube videos (safely, students are kept on Weebly site)
  • embed html codes (useful for Shelfari, etc.)
  • attach documents
  • add text and format
  • arrange pages 
  • have secure/public pages
  • and much more!


Here's how we're using the site:

  1. To share general information:  Our home page, Merely Learning Together, allows me to share general information about the learning in our classroom.  At this time, this page shares information with parents and others hoping to find out more about the learning going on in our classroom.
  2. For shared blogging:  We are using our blog page on Weebly to share weekly news about our learning. At the end of each week students write a "family news" page to share at home.  On this page they share something important they learned, a new accomplishment, or big news from our week.  We use individual news to discuss all we have learned and accomplished in the week.  The class then chooses one topic to share "with the world."  Together we plan, write, and add photos to the post.  Discussing our posts and photo choices provides opportunities to discuss internet safety.   This shared blogging opportunity is helping students to learn about the purpose, planning, and composing aspects of writing a blog.  I think this will make our transition to Kidblog much easier.  Having an open blog also allows us to share our learning with others classrooms we are joining in learning. 
  3. For collaborating with other learning communities:  Weebly has worked well for centralizing our learning to share with others.  I've been able to add links to Twitter, Shelfari, and other collaborative platforms we are utilizing to work with other classrooms.  We are able to follow other classrooms to find out what learning is happening around the globe.  
  4. For students:  One of the things I really liked was the way Katie was using her webpage to for parents AND students.  Her students were linking to sites from her webpage.  The class webpage was a "home base" for everyone and the information that needed to be shared.  I've created Symbaloo content mixes to provide extra learning opportunities for students.  I was able to embed these mixes into our site to allow students to use these links for learning.  
  5. For secure sharing:  By purchasing Weebly Pro (something I do not normally do, but was well worth it in this case), I now have the ability to have public and private pages.  I've added pages to our website that remain secure.  These pages are perfect for sharing photos and work examples with parents while keeping safety in the forefront.  
  6. To share important dates with families:  Embedding a Google calendar into Weebly was a snap.  I'm able to select the calendar(s), I'd like to share on the site and the calendar automatically updates when I add new events.  
  7. For individual student pages:  Weebly includes the opportunity to add student accounts.  As the class becomes more tech-savvy, I look forward to the possibility of having students add their own webpages to our site.  These pages will allow students to attach files, publish digital writing pieces, link to blog posts, link to VoiceThread work, and other examples of work to illustrate their learning journeys.  
I'm sure there are many more ways I will discover I can use Weebly.  It's been well worth the investment so far.  



4 comments:

  1. Sounds great Kathy. I need to head over and check it out. I'm curious where your previous class blog was held. I'm familiar with Weebly but still quite happy with blogger. We too use our class blog as the hub for so much of our learning. I think my class needs to get connected with your in a meaningful way. Let me know if you're interested. Oh and in case you don't have the link to our class blog you can find us at www.mslirenmansroom.blogspot.com. Off you check out your sight.

    Karen

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. CAthy-
    This is such a great post! Thanks for linking us in your class blog list. I am anxious to get the kids thinking about what other first graders are learning around here and around the world. I am hoping to show them how they can take a peek at other kids learning this week:) I love the directions for embedding the calendar...it is just what I needed! Glad you were able to get symbaloo to work too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Dear Cathy...here you go pushing my thinking again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our district encourages weebly. I find it easy to use and really enjoy it!

    I have to watch my budget so the only glitch for me was when I couldn't post videos without upgrading. :0) After reading this, I need to look at all the other benefits as well.

    This is post so helpful. Thank you. I still have much to learn about classroom blogging.

    Oh! It was my first year to have a classroom blog...What do you do at the end of the year with your blog? Do you leave it and start a new one for the new year?

    http://frommrsdsclassroom.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete