Six years ago, Mandy Robek and I were discussing the "must have" books for our classroom libraries. We began to wonder which books other teachers just had to have on their shelves. We decided we'd ask everyone and Picture Book 10 for 10 was born. Since that time the event has grown. The Picture Book 10 for 10 Community now hosts over one hundred members. This year will be our first year to host the August event from our Google Community since Jog the Web shut down making it impossible to curate from there. (Our February Nonfiction Picture Book 10 for 10 was hosted in the Google Community.)
Of course, I can't wait to see everyone's selections. Many participants have already been talking about their lists, and I look forward to seeing their favorites or the interesting themes they've chosen to share this year. It's going to be great! Tell your friends and get ready to join the fun.
If you're new to the event, we're glad you will be joining us.
Here's how you can participate:
- Grab a Badge (just copy the URL address of the one above or take a screenshot)
- Join the #pb10for10 Google Community
- Choose Your Favorites: All you need to do is choose ten picture books you cannot live without for whatever reason. In the first days of this event, everyone shared their ten very favorite titles. This still works. You will notice, however, that many past participants choose some type of theme to determine their selections. We'll leave this up to you.
- Narrow Your List to Ten: It isn't easy, is it? We've seen some crafty ways to get around that number.
- Write Your August 10th Post: Write a post about the ten books you cannot live without. Share your post on August 10th and link it to the Picture Book 10 for 10 Community.
- No Blog? No Problem: If you don't have a blog, this might be the perfect time to start one --- or there are a million digital ways to join (see post below). Of course, now with the Google Community it is quite easy to just post your favorites directly into the community without a blog. We will also be tweeting from the #pb10for10 hashtag.
- Comment: On August 10th (and maybe for a week --- there are a lot of posts) take some time to read posts from other participants. Please comment on at least three.
- Mandy's Picture Book 10 for 10 Announcement
- Choosing Picture Books
- So You Don't Have a Blog: 10 Ways to Still Join #pb10for10 Event (now add direct posting to Google Community...let me +1 that...ha ha)
- Nerdy Book Club: Picture Book Addict? Join Us
- Can You Help? Rebuilding Our Picture Book 10 for 10 Archives A must read for past participants
- Find out about our Nonfiction Picture Book Event (each February)
I'm leaving for the beach during this time, Cathy. I'll try to do it ahead, then post later, and comment later. So exciting. There have been many wonderful books out just this year! Thanks to you and Mandy!ReplyDelete
My head is already spinning as I think about the fun that is about to happen in just TEN days!! Thanks to both you and Mandy for continuing to host the most expensive, er... exciting, event of the year! Off to (once again) try to trim down my list or get creative with how I can weave in a few extra titles.ReplyDelete
As always, I am very excited for this day! I found a theme and now the tricky thing of course is deciding which ten books to include. I am so excited to see all of the lists from everyone. It is always so interesting to see how everyone organizes their thinking.ReplyDelete
So excited about this! I'm anxious to participate! How do I link my blog to the 10for10 community?ReplyDelete