Do you love picture books? Are you constantly clicking your Amazon purchase button, heading to your local Indie bookstore, or checking out the maximum number of books possible at your local library? Do you stalk picture book authors and illustrators on Twitter, at conferences, and at local bookstore events? Are you constantly rearranging to find room for books on your shelves? If so, this event is for you. On August 10th, Mandy Robek of Enjoy and Embrace Learning and I will be hosting our 4th annual Picture Book 10 for 10 (#pb10for10). The event started in 2010 and has been growing ever since.
What Is It?
The idea began as Mandy and I wondered what ten books were "must-haves" in the classroom. If you could only choose 10 picture books, what would they be? It's not an easy question. We've had participants find some innovative ways to cheat the system (and we love that!) and share interesting groups of ten titles in our four years. Each year the collaborative effort produces a informative picture book resource.
We are hoping you will join us.
- Contact Us: Contact us on our blogs, on Twitter (@mandyrobek or @cathymere), or by e-mail to let us know you are joining this event. This way we can try to be sure we don't miss anyone on the day of the event.
- Grab a Badge: Add the Picture Book 10 for 10 Badge to your blog.
- Choose your favorites: All you need to do is choose ten picture books you cannot live without for whatever reason. Believe me, that's not as easy as it sounds. Here are some tips that might help (Choosing Picture Books and More About Choosing Picture Books).
- Write Your August 10th Post: Write a post telling us about the 10 books you cannot live without. Share your post on August 10th and link it here or at Enjoy and Embrace Learning.
- No Blog? No Problem: If you don't have a blog this might be the perfect time to start one --- or you can find alternate ways to participate here. Mandy and I are not huge rule followers so feel free to adjust as needed.
- We do the rest: Then Mandy and I will link your post to the other posts in a Jog for 2013. (Exercise without leaving our couches.)
Pass the news along to all your crazy picture book friends. Educators, media specialists, parents, book enthusiasts are all welcome! You won't want to miss it.
If you've participated in the past, I hope you will leave a comment telling how many years you have participated in the event. We're excited to have many of you back for the 4th time....and to have many new book lovers join the conversation! It's the community that makes this such a great event.