Saturday, August 31, 2019

These Five #pb10for10 Favorites Will Melt Your Heart

August 10th was our 10th annual picture book celebration:  Picture Book 10 for 10.  Since our event, I've been receiving library notifications for the books I requested as I read the recommendations of the Picture Book 10 for 10 Community.  JOY!  The second stack from the library produced a few favorites that you won't want to miss.  I'm going to apologize now as I can't be sure which blog recommended which books.  I guarantee you won't want to miss these titles - and if you wonder where all these great recommendations came from, please check the event post linked above.

Here are my favorites from the second #pb10for10 stack:


What is Given from the Heart by Patricia C. McKissack and April Harrison

This is the story of James Otis and his mama.  They have been struggling to get by since his father died, but when their church asks for everyone to help a family that lost everything in a fire, he and his mama dig deep to find something to give.  This is a beautiful book in message, illustration, and line.  Told from the point of view of James Otis, this book will melt your heart.



We Are Grateful:  Otsaliheliga by Traci Sorell and illustrated by Frané Lessac

The author takes us through the celebrations of a Cherokee family as they show gratitude across the year.  The structure of this cumulative text will be one young writers can use in their own writing.  It also is guaranteed to not only bring great conversation, but to spark ideas for writing as the author shares the celebrations close to her heart.


Adrian Simcox Does NOT Have a Horse by Marcy Campbell and illustrated by Corinna Luyken

We can't really know someone until we take the time to sit down with them for a bit.  So often we create our own narratives for people without knowing their real story.  So it goes in this book by Marcy Campbell.  Adrian Simcox tells everyone about his horse, but Chloe doesn't believe it for a minute.  It isn't until Chloe's mom arranges a play date with Adrian that she learns the real story.  This is a heartprint book for sure!


My Heart is a Compass by Deborah Marcero

If you stop by regularly you know I love a book that is written and illustrated by the same person.  I just like the message it sends to young writers.  Now, personally, I wouldn't be able to illustrate my own book, but kudos to those with the power of the paintbrush.  My Heart is a Compass is a book you'll want to have in your classroom library always!  In this story Rose is looking for the perfect item to bring to school to share with her class.  She has no idea what it is so she begins to draw maps to help her to find it.  The reader walks alongside Rose in her quest for a treasure.  This book would make a smart choice for talking about maps, but it also helps to illustrate the importance of our stories.  I think it would also work to create maps showing places or things that are important to us and begin to spur some ideas form writing.

the remember balloons by Jessie Oliveros and illustrated by Dana Wulfekotte

Just bring tissues.  This book will go straight to your heart.  There are books I love that I look forward to reading with different ages of readers as I wonder what they will think of the book.  This book is one of those books.  I loved this book.  It made me think of my grandparents and the stories they told - those I hold and those I have lost over the years.  In this story, told in first person, a young boy takes us through the balloons each family holds.  The balloons represent the stories that stay deep in our hearts; the stories we love to share with one another.  It make me think about "the balloons" that are close to my heart.  What a great title for the beginning of the year writer's workshop!



Well, after writing this post I've decided borrowing these titles from the library just isn't going to be enough for me.  I need these five picture books on my shelves always!!!  #pb10for10 community, you are not good for my wallet --- but you are great for my heart.  :o)







1 comment:

  1. Read this yesterday [What is Given from the Heart by Patricia C. McKissack and April Harrison] and my students loved it! Childhood trauma is real for all humans and learning to cope and building resilience through thoughtful giving...priceless!

    ReplyDelete